Many patients lose their hair due to their cancer treatment. When our little princesses lose their hair, they often lose some self-esteem too. ‘Locks of Hope’ is a support program by Friends of Cancer Patients charity that provides hairpieces to children suffering from long-term medical hair loss due to chemotherapy or any cancer treatment. ‘Locks of Hope’ aims to help restore their self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world in a positive outlook. The donated hair is used to create the highest quality of hair prosthetics, which will be used for cancer patients at the Little Princess Trust Charity in U.K, and will help put a smile on their face and support them in their arduous journey.
Guidelines for Hair Donations:
All good condition hair that is cut according to our guidelines is sent to the factory in China. Please note that we are unable to guarantee that your hair will definitely be used in the making of a child’s wig. This is because the decision is up to the specialist wig manufacturer in China and not us.
If your plait/pony tail measures longer than 12”/30cm, it will most likely be blended with similar hairand made into a lovely, long wig for a girl. If you’re having your hair cut with the specific intention of donating it, please hang on and grow the length so that it exceeds 12”/30cm.
If your hair measures between 7-12”/17-30cm, it may be mixed with similar hair and made into a shorter wig possibly, when required. Incredibly around 4”/10cm is lost when a wig is made because of the knotting process.
In 2013 pop sensation, Jessie J, kindly donated her hair to us by shaving her head. We were delighted but whilst we acknowledge the gesture from anyone that shaves their head, please note this isn’t in any way necessary.
Please see the guidelines and please take these points on board too:
- We cannot provide photographs of a child receiving a wig/pictures of a wig made from your
- We don’t sell hair under any
- Just having your hair cut for us is fine, you don’t have to go for the whole shave!
- If you’re under 16, please get the permission of your parents/guardians before you go for the cut!
- Clean, dry hair in good condition (no split ends) from any gender, and of any natural colour
- Straight, wavy, curly, permed or chemically straightened
- Containing the occasional grey (less than 10%)
- Dyed, bleached/highlighted (any dyes must be of a natural colour)
- Plaits/pony-tails, cut a long time ago, preserved in good condition Unsuitable hair for our wigs:
- Hair that is less than 7”/17cm in length
- Dyed an unnatural colour (blue, green, purple)
- Largely/mostly grey hair
- Afro (the wig-maker is not a specialist manufacturer of Afro wigs. The Trust buys in these wigs separately)
- Hair extensions
- Wash and dry your hair
- Do not add conditioner or styling products
- Put your dry hair into a plait/s or pony-tail/s
- Secure at both ends with an elastic band
- Ask your hairdresser to cut above the band/s nearest your head
- Now have the rest of your hair cut and styled as you wish
- Put your dry plaits/pony-tails into a clear plastic bag
Sunday to Thursday 8:00am to 4:00pm